Saturday, June 20, 2009

A Little Contemplation

I would like to reminisce, a little. Let's look back at a quote from my blog on July 28th, 2008:

"I've been learning that my plan is not important, but God decides when things should happen. When we started the process to go to Natal, we asked God that we would follow His will, not our own. I believe that He is teaching me that even when I think that I am laying out a plan for Him, I may be laying out MY plan and just expecting God to approve my plan and go along with it and bless me."

I wrote this before Cyndi and I ever knew that we were going to be in Panama. We had thought that we would be in Natal, Brazil for one whole year. In ways that we could not control, we were not able to stay in Brazil. Lacy Hefley, our original team mate, has just completed a year in Natal and is headed back home to the US. We thought that we would also follow this plan. But here is another quote from last year:

"We have been praying that God will place roadblocks where He doesn't want us to go... so our plans have kept changing with the roadblocks."

I realize now, that my plans are so limited. God can do anything. Last year we had our final yard sale and we moved out of our house on July 4th weekend. God is continually teaching us to let go of our plans and listen to what He wants to do with us, and for us.

I'm contemplative and reminiscent because we just lost a faithful brother in Panama — Walter Leonard. He was the second person we met when we arrived last December. And from our first meeting, he helped us feel needed and a part of the family. We were honored to sing at his funeral last week and celebrate a full life of service in God's kingdom. I feel really blessed that we had 6 months to witness his example of faith and service. We are so happy for him, but will feel his absence for the rest of our time here.

"How can we thank God enough for you in return for all the joy we have in the presence of our God because of you?" 1 Thessalonians 3:9

No comments: