Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Searching for truth

I want to tell you about one of my readers, who will remain anonymous. In our last session, we were talking about the birth of Jesus using the text from Luke. As I was asking him questions about the story, we started talking about the magi. The magi aren't mentioned in Luke, but only in the book of Matthew. This surprised him. He mentioned that he knew all three of their names, Gaspar, Melchior and Balthasar. I told him that it was interesting that they had names since their names aren't mentioned and we know so little from scripture. He was really surprised that their names weren't in the Bible. So I suggested that we read the account from Matthew.

After reading about the magi in Matthew, I said that this is all we know form the Bible. He said, "I wonder where the names came from?" I said, "Probably from someone who wanted more details. Many people have added to scripture because it makes them seem important. If I say that I know details about a Bible story that no one else knows, then you might listen to whatever I have to say and see me as wise and important."

In Brazil, children are taught Catholic Christianity in the public schools. I am seeing that there are many things that they are taught that aren't in the BIble. I really look forward to having the opportunity to help them to see for themselves what the Bible really says. I keep telling them that you don't need anyone to tell you what the Bible says, read it yourself! This is a very different concept because so many people in the Catholic church want to tell people what to believe. I'm praying that the Word of God will change their lives... and of course, improve their English at the same time.

2 comments:

Lacy Almeda Hefley said...

I´ve noticed the same thing several times. It was a shock to me to learn some of the things the Catholic church teaches here. Which is why they need to know about the real Jesus. Who cares about English...

Jeff Needels said...

I have researched and found the names are listed in one of the apocryphal books (in the Catholic bible.) Do you get many questions about the apocryphal books?