Friday, November 21, 2008

Good thoughts

Yesterday, I had a reader who was studying the temptation of Jesus with me. We read through the text and went over any English words that he didn't understand. (He learned English by listening to American music and watching American movies. I was really impressed by his ability to speak only by those means.) Then I had him read and answer the questions written in his workbook. He didn't have much trouble there except for some verbs in the past tense. (In music and movies, most of our speech is in the present tense so this can be a problem.)
After the workbook questions, I always ask additional questions that help them answer for themselves what is really going on in the text. We talked about how the devil was tempting Jesus and I asked him, "What do you think about what the devil is doing here to Jesus?" and he replied, "The devil knew the scriptures really, REALLY well!"
I was really hit by the truth to his statement. It wasn't the first time I had heard someone say that, but it is so true! Then my reader said, "I really need to know the scriptures, too!" then I said, "ME, TOO!" If quoting scripture is Jesus' defense against the devil, it sure had better be mine. I need to be in the Bible daily and so often it gets a low priority. Maybe if I spend more time in the Word, I wouldn't fail to temptation so easily sometimes. If I claim to be a follower of Jesus Christ, I need to spend time in the Word.
I included some details of how this lesson went so that you could see the format that we use in our reading sessions. I hope you can see that not only do we show our readers Jesus, but they show us some great insight into scripture as well.

No comments: