Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Now that's a good question!

Today I had two reading sessions that were very interesting. I'll call my first reader Timothy. Timothy is a very intelligent 18 year-old who has a good grasp of English as well as general knowledge of the Bible. Timothy rarely has problems understanding the message of each lesson so recently I decided to challenge him with harder questions. Because he learns so easily, I thought he would enjoy studying the deeper questions that we usually don't ask our students. Today, we were talking about Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane and His ultimate choice to be our sacrifice. We also talked about how His disciples reacted to His arrest. What were they thinking? Then I asked him how he would have reacted, if he were one of the disciples.

Timothy said that he would have wondered why Jesus gave Himself over to the Jewish leaders. That lead us to talk about why God wanted Jesus to die. "Why did Jesus have to be the sacrifice?" Now that is a good question. When that question arose, I realized that this discussion would take longer than the time we had and so I said that I wanted him to think about this all week and that we would talk about it next Wednesday. I can't wait until our reading session next week.

Reader #2, I'll call Gideon. Gideon is a 33-year-old family man. He believes in Jesus and struggles with the understanding of what being a Christian looks like in the real world. In an e-mail, he flat out asked me if it was a sin for a cop to kill a man (inside the law) Uhhhh, I don't hear that question everyday. Then today, we were talking about how Jesus would not drink of the cup again until God's kingdom comes. Then he asked, "When will God's kingdom come?" Now that's a good question!

I'm sure you are curious to hear my answers to these questions, but I've found that the best answers come from the Bible and I can only give a simple man's opinion. And what is that compared to the unfathomable wisdom of God's Word.

1 comment:

prich said...

Good ending to your blog. Great thought provoking discussions. Hope all is well with ya'll.